- Chalmette Elementary
- Parent Handbook 2021-2022
Section 5: Behavior
Section 5: BEHAVIOR
The faculty and staff of Chalmette Elementary believe that the best way to enforce the St. Bernard School District’s Code of Conduct and to ensure a positive learning environment is to recognize and encourage positive behaviors. Positive Behavior Intervention Support (PBIS) is the basis for our discipline policy. The three major behavioral expectations for students are:
Be Respectful Be Responsible Be Positive
These guidelines serve as the basis for more specific rules to be followed in various settings. Students who consistently adhere to these rules are rewarded throughout the school year.
DISCIPLINE Students are expected to follow all school rules and behave appropriately. The teacher, the principal, or the assistant principal will contact a parent when a student consistently breaks the school rules. Refer to the Guide to Student Conduct for information regarding the different classes of behavioral infractions and possible consequences.
When a student is given a before-school or after-school detention as a consequence, the parent will be sent a written notice. The parent is responsible for providing transportation.
When a student is suspended, the parent will be called in for a conference. Whenever a question arises concerning discipline, please follow the steps listed below:
- Discuss it with your child.
- Discuss it with the teacher.
- If necessary, discuss it with an administrator.
Please help your child develop good behavior habits as well as a proper attitude toward school. Become familiar with your child’s class rules as well as the Guide to Student Conduct. Your child will be held accountable for obeying all class, school and district rules.
Students will be expected to:
- Walk in the halls.
- Report any problem with another student to the nearest adult
(teacher, aide, bus driver, etc.)
- Keep hands and feet to selves.
- Avoid throwing objects.
- Refrain from “calling names” or teasing another student.
- Respect school property.
- Use the bathroom facilities properly.
- Obey all school, classroom, and bus rules.
Students should follow this line-up procedure after recess:
- “Freeze” on the first bell or whistle.
- Walk quietly to the line when instructed to do so.
- Quietly move to the next location.
- Stay in a straight line.
- Keep hands and feet to themselves.
- Speak softly when seated at the lunch tables.
- Practice good table manners.
- Remove all trash from the table and floor.
- Listen for instructions to be dismissed.
- Remain quiet during dismissal from the tables to empty trays.
- Play by cooperating with other students.
- Avoid rough play.
- Avoid running on all concrete areas.
- Follow playground equipment rules established by the P.E. teachers.
- Obey all safety rules.
- Follow teacher directions to rotate turns on playground equipment.
- Stay out of the mulched area immediately surrounding the playground equipment when not using the playground equipment.
STUDENTS WHO WALK TO AND FROM SCHOOL
Students who walk to and from school should:
- Cross the street ONLY at the proper corners.
- Always allow the traffic guards to assist them.
- Always use the sidewalk.
- NEVER PASS THROUGH THE PARKING LOTS.
- Go straight home and not return to the school grounds after dismissal
BUS LINE RULES
Students waiting for the bus should:
- Stay in line to wait for the bus.
- Stay out of the street.
- NEVER walk directly in front of, between, or behind buses.
- Speak quietly.
Students must follow all bus rules contained in the St. Bernard Parish Guide to Student Conduct.
- Keep hands and other objects inside the bus windows.
- Report problems to the bus driver before leaving the bus.
- Keep feet and school bags out of the aisles.
- Stay seated in the assigned seat.
- Wait until the bus comes to a complete stop before getting out of their seats.
- Exit the bus single file at the school entrance in the morning and walk to their assigned areas in the building.
- Board the bus single file at the bus loading zone on the side of the school in the afternoon.
- Keep the bus clean. (No eating or drinking is allowed on the bus.)
Mutual respect by the student and the bus driver should alleviate almost all problems.
Students not observing common courtesies or disobeying bus rules will be suspended from the bus. Riding the bus is a privilege.