Curriculum and Instruction
St. Bernard Parish Public Schools seek to prepare its students to be responsible, independent and productive members of a diverse society in a digital age through quality instruction. Our curriculum focuses on skills necessary to participate in society as a responsible, productive citizen and life-long learner.
St. Bernard Parish School students will demonstrate:
• literacy in reading: for content (both literal and inferential); to apply active reading strategies to all reading assignments; to research a topic; to comprehend an argument; to determine meaning of a passage; to understand a concept
• literacy in writing: to express one’s idea in a complete thought; to support claims with evidence; to develop essays of multiple genres; to describe an idea, problem or experiment using academic vocabulary; to report on one’s findings; to develop and refine writing skills through planning, revising, editing, and rewriting
• literacy in speaking & listening: to have ample opportunities to take part in a variety of rich, structured conversations and productive discourse—as part of a whole class, in small groups, and with a partner; to respond to; to make comparisons; to analyze and synthesize a multitude of ideas
• literacy in reasoning: to create, interpret and explain a map, diagram, table, chart, or graph; to compute, interpret and explain numbers fluently; to analyze and solve a word problem; to interpret and present statistics that support an hypothesis; to explain and make a prediction based on a pattern; to solve a complex problem with no obvious solution; to evaluate the logic or fallacy in an argument; to use analogies and evidence to support claims
• digital literacy: to integrate, delineate, analyze, and evaluate content from diverse media formats, including visually, quantitatively, and qualitatively as well as in words; to develop strategies for digital reading and analysis of content; to express ideas through online platforms; to comprehend the implications of expressing one's self in online social media