Types of Courses at CHS
ADVANCED PLACEMENT (AP)
- AP courses are rigorous college-level courses taken in high school with an opportunity to earn college credit/placement based on students' score on the national AP exam. AP courses add an extra quality point to students’ GPA.
DUAL ENROLLMENT (DE)
- Students enrolled in DE courses receive high school course credit at CHS AND college credit through Nunez Community College.
- Asterisks courses are high-level courses meant to challenge students in the subject area.
- The GT courses service gifted students with an IEP.
WHY SHOULD STUDENTS TAKE COURSES FOR COLLEGE CREDIT WHILE STILL IN HIGH SCHOOL?
- Experience college while you are still in high school. Learn what is expected of you and develop skills you need now to get the most out of college later.
- Studies have shown that students who complete college coursework are more likely to continue their education beyond their freshmen year in college. They are also more likely to graduate within four to five years.
- CHS pays the bill while you are in high school! This saves you money while you earn college credit in high school and may mean less classes you have to take (and pay for!) in college.