Training: Teach St. Bernard
There is no better teacher than experience. Each candidate is required to complete 30 hours of field experience with a mentor teacher. Field experience is tailored to the needs of the candidate so the specifics regarding Field Experience will be discussed with candidates who are selected to participate in a phone interview.
Candidates that successfully complete the interview process and are hired at a school site will complete at minimum a four weeks intensive professional development.
When: July 6th - First Day of School
- Initial training is a full time commitment Monday - Friday from 8:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M.
- Training will begin the first week of July and conclude the day prior to the district-wide teacher start date.
- Sessions during this training will focus on:
- Classroom Management
- Child and Adolescent Psychology
- Standard Based Lesson Planning
- Backward Design and Unit Planning
- Foundational Reading
- Teaching high-poverty students
- All candidates are required to complete a field training with a mentor teacher and students. Field training will be individually structured to meet the needs of the candidate and will be discussed upon acceptance into the program.
- Please Note: This is an un-paid training. Candidates will receive their first pay check in the middle of August. Please plan accordingly.
Training and Support During the School Year
- Mentorship and Coaching: Teachers will work closely work with a mentor teacher and a coach/ teacher leader throughout the school year.
- Peer Observations: Teachers are required to complete 10 peer-observations each semester and complete a reflection guide.
- Saturday Sessions: Teachers will participate in 8 Saturday sessions focusing on different topics pertinent to the classroom teacher.