Letter From the Principal
July 11, 2022
Dear Trist Middle School Parent(s)/Guardian(s):
I hope everyone is enjoying a healthy and safe summer. This year brings changes as we begin the 2022-2023 school year. I will be Trist’s new Principal, and Ms. Capstick will be Trist’s new Assistant Principal. Both of us have been at Trist since 2008 and 2012, respectively. We are happy for Trist’s former Principal, Ms. Pritchard, on the next chapter in her educational career as she moves to Supervisor of Personnel.
In a few weeks, our faculty and staff will welcome our students back to school for the 2022-2023 school year.
We all look forward to a wonderful year, and we anticipate returning to normal school procedures, clubs, organizations, sports, etc. As the beginning of the school year approaches, as well as throughout the school year, please be sure to monitor the St. Bernard Parish Public Schools and N. P. Trist Middle School WEBSITES as well as the Facebook pages for information on updated procedures.
Middle school students are NOT required to pay the $15 Instructional Fee! Also, due to the Community Eligibility Provision of the National Lunch Program, breakfast and lunch will continue to be free for our elementary and middle school students for the 2022-2023 school year.
Mark your calendar for the N. P. Trist Middle School BACK-TO-SCHOOL NIGHT to be held on WEDNESDAY, August 3, 2022. This event will allow our students to return their completed EMERGENCY CARD, pick up their CLASS SCHEDULES, tour the BUILDING, and meet our FACULTY and STAFF. Students may bring HOMEROOM supplies. All other supplies can be brought the week of August 8th. Students will wear P.E. uniforms this school year. They can be purchased at BACK-TO-SCHOOL NIGHT, $30 per set. Please note your child’s schedule to see if he/she has P.E. the first semester. All checks must be written to N.P. Trist Middle School. Due to limited space in the building and limited parking, only 1 (ONE) parent may attend with the TMS student! Please report as follows on Wednesday, August 3:
- Last name beginning A – E: 4:30 – 5:15 p.m.
- Last name beginning F – K: 5:15 – 6:00 p.m.
- Last name beginning L – R: 6:00 – 6:45 p.m.
- Last name beginning S – Z: 6:45 – 7:30 p.m.
IMPORTANT FOR BUS RIDERS: If your child is a BUS RIDER, please make sure he or she rides the bus to and from school on the first day of school! Remind your bus rider to take note of their BUS NUMBER to reduce confusion at dismissal on the first day of school! It is important that our bus riders are aware of their street address and nearby cross streets. Please review this vital information with your child in advance.
Once again, enjoy the remainder of the summer! Remember, Friday, August 5 is the first day of school.
Have a happy and safe summer,
Kara Colburn, Principal
Parents, we have made some adjustments to our MORNING Car Rider Map! Starting Monday, August 8th, the procedure is as follows:
- 7th and 8th graders who are NOT eating breakfast are to exit cars in between the 8th Grade Building and the Art/Band Room.
- When the cars come to a stop, students in the semicircle are to exit all vehicles from the courtyard to the end of the 8th grade building.
- 7th Graders and 8th Graders will report to their designated courtyard.
- All 6th graders and any 7th & 8th Graders will exit their vehicles in the front of the school on Pirates Cove.
- Vehicles are to enter the car rider line using Webster Street. There should be NO cars traveling down Olivia to the school.
Thank you for your patience as we work out some of the glitches.