A National Blue Ribbon School
In Light of the COVID-19 Pandemic, please understand that the information and dates contained within this newsletter are tentative and subject to change. I know that getting used to the “New Normal” is not always easy, but I am HOPEful that our Davies school family will get through this together. Our focus has always been and remains the safety and well-being of our students and staff. As state and local mandates change, we will make adjustments as needed. Please understand that this is a fluid situation and changes are inevitable.
February 1, 2021 - We will return to our normal school dismissal time, 3:30, for the remainder of the school year.
Easter Holidays : Apr. 2, 2021 - Apr. 5, 2021 (Calendar change)
Car Riders: Students may arrive on campus beginning at 8:05 am. All car riders must follow the car rider line and be dropped off at the designated car rider location. Under no circumstance should a child be dropped off in any of our front parking lots. Car riders must arrive by 8:20 am in order to eat breakfast. Parents will not be allowed to walk their child in the building. All students can either report to the cafeteria to pick up a grab-n-go breakfast or report directly to their classrooms.
Contact the school office at (504) 267-7890 if you have moved or any contact information has changed
• Students in PreK, K, 1, and 2 have the option of wearing a mask. However, Students in grades 3, 4, and 5 must wear a mask when moving about the classroom or building.
• All students must practice social distancing in the classrooms, school building and on the bus.
• Initial temperature checks will be done daily at each entry point. Students who have a temperature of 100.4 or higher, will need to be picked up immediately.
• Students will need to bring their own filled water bottle to school. The water fountains will be closed.
• Students will wash their hands or use sanitizer throughout the day.
• Access to the campus will be limited to students and staff members only at this time.
• All buildings and work spaces will be cleaned throughout the day.
The Spirit Shop will be available through the order form enclosed. We will be selling our Joseph J. Davies Elementary Spirit Shirts sweatshirts, masks, pencil cases and earbuds that may be a part of your child’s supply list. The spirit shirts may be worn on Fridays with navy or khaki uniform bottoms. Enclosed you will find a flyer with the price list of items available in our Spirit Shop.
If possible, we are asking that parents bring and pick up their children daily. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, we have limited seating on the buses and would like to reserve those spaces for students who have no other form of transportation. However, if your child will be a bus rider, please allow your child to ride the bus on the first day of school. This will allow us to give your child the proper bus tags. Information will be posted to our school and district website concerning bus routes, as it becomes available.
All students are expected to arrive on the first day of school in full uniform. Uniforms are required for all students. Please refer to the St. Bernard Parish Uniform Policy prior to purchasing school uniforms. Stores may advertise articles of clothing as “uniforms”; however, they may not meet the district uniform policy.
Face coverings can be of any color but cannot contain writing or symbols which may be perceived as inappropriate.
As a reminder, this is an ever-changing situation and we are constantly updating our websites and Facebook pages. Please continue to monitor our district/school’s websites and Facebook pages for the most current information. If you have any questions or concerns please contact me at(504) 267-7890.